Sunday, August 9, 2020

Nineteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time

In other years: Saint Teresa Benedicta of the Cross (1891-1942)

Readings of the Day
RB: Ch 56 The Abbot's Table
Mass: 1 Kgs 19:9a, 11;13a; Resp Ps 85; Rm 9:1-5; Mt 14:22-33


Lord, let us see your kindness, and grant us your salvation.

HEART OF JESUS, SOURCE OF ALL CONSOLATION,
HAVE MERCY ON US.

Happy Sunday!

I remember something Cardinal Basil Hume said in response to the question, "What do you feel when you pray?" Cardinal Hume replied: "Oh, I just keep plugging away. At its best its like being in a dark room with someone you love. You can't see them, but you know they're there." It is like that sometimes when we feel "tossed about by the waves" (Mt 14:24) like the boat in today's Gospel. Except we forget that Jesus is there with us. We become afraid, and cry out with Peter "Lord, save me!" (Mt 14:30). Jesus is always with us, in dark rooms and bright ones too. Lest we forget: "Jesus Christ loves you; He gave His life to save you; and now He is living at your side every day to enlighten, strengthen and free you" (Pope Francis, The Joy of the Gospel, 164). Still, it is always good to call on the Name of the Lord who made heaven and earth. Jesus, give me strength; give me courage. I belief, help my unbelief. The wind may just die down (Mt 14:32). May we join the disciples in the boat and do Jesus homage, saying "Truly, you are the Son of God" (Mt 14:33). Keep plugging away. 😎

Maybe in the dark, we cry out: "Lord, Lord!", thinking He is far away. And He says, "I am here." Ah, He was with me! That is the Lord.
(Pope Francis, Angelus Address, August 9, 2020)

SAINT TERESA BENEDICTA OF THE CROSS,
PRAY FOR US.

© Gertrude Feick 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment