Friday, August 28, 2020

Friday of the Twenty-First Week in Ordinary Time

Saint Augustine (354-430), Bishop, Doctor, Son of Saint Monica (331-387)

Readings of the Day
RB: Ch 70 The Presumption of Defending Another in the Monastery
Mass: 1 Cor 1:17-25; Resp Ps 33; Mt 25:1-13


The earth is full of the goodness of the Lord.

THE FOOLISHNESS OF GOD IS WISER THAN HUMAN WISDOM, AND THE WEAKNESS OF GOD IS STRONGER THAN HUMAN STRENGTH.
(1 Cor 1:25)

Today we have two fitting quotations from two great saints. Hang in there. It's worth it. 😊

Saint Bernard, in his Sermon on the Song of Songs, 74, 11, offers this perspective about the foolish virgins in today's Gospel: "Now the foolish virgins-whom I do not think to have been foolish in other respects than by believing themselves wise and they became silly-they, I tell you will hear God saying, 'I do not know you'. So those who have made use of grace to perform miracles to enhance their own reputation will likewise hear the same condemnation, 'I do not know you'. From this it is quite clear that grace brings no profit where there is no truth in one's intention, but rather brings harm."

Something Saint Augustine wrote in his Confessions, 7, speaks of truth: "Urged to reflect upon myself, I entered under your guidance into the inmost depth of my soul. I was able to do so because you were my helper. On entering into myself I saw, as it were with the eye of the soul, what was beyond the eye of the soul, beyond my spirit; your immutable light. It was not the ordinary light perceptible to all flesh, nor was it merely something of greater magnitude but still essentially akin, shining more clearly and diffusing itself everywhere by its intensity. No, it was something entirely distinct, something altogether different from all these things; and it did not rest above my mind as oil on the surface of water, nor was it above me as heaven is above earth. This light was above me because it had made me; I was below it because I was created by it. He who has come to know the truth knows this light."

BY GOD'S GRACE I AM WHAT I AM.
(1 Cor 5:15)

SAINT AUGUSTINE, 
SAINT MONICA, 
PRAY FOR US.

Today's photo: Some weeks ago we had a photo of a rainbow from this same spot. In my home state of Indiana, between Columbia City and North Webster, on Old State Road 30 of South State Road 13. US 30 is the third longest U.S. highway. The western end of the highway is in Astoria, Oregon, the eastern end in Atlantic City, New Jersey. Thanks again to dear bro James A.

© Gertrude Feick 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment