Sunday, March 1, 2020

First Sunday of Lent

Readings of the Day
RB: Ch 24 Degrees of Excommunication
Mass: Gn 2:7-9; Resp Ps 51; Rm 5:12-19; Mt 4:1-11


Be merciful, O Lord, for we have sinned.

HEART OF JESUS, SACRED TEMPLE OF GOD,
HAVE MERCY ON US.

What I heard loud and clear from today's Gospel is this: After Jesus' time in the desert, where "he fasted for forty days and forty nights", was this: "He was famished" (Mt 4:2). It was the humanity of Jesus revealed for me in a new way. I was led to asking myself, among other ones, a few questions prompted by a commentator: How am I when tempted to think physical satisfaction is the ultimate good?; How am I when tempted with fame and admiration-making a name for myself?; How am I when tempted by earthly power and rule? Any of us can take these questions to our life in community, home, the work place, or wherever and whenever we gather with others.

The Gospel of the day shows how Jesus responds to the tempter who tries three times to ensnare Him. May His experience also help us to be vigilant in the face of temptation and not to surrender to any idol of this world.
(Pope Francis, Angelus Address, Twitter, March 1, 2020)

THE LORD, YOUR GOD, SHALL YOU WORSHIP AND HIM ALONE SHALL YOU SERVE.
(Mt 4:10)

© Gertrude Feick 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment