Friday, March 20, 2020

Friday of the Third Week of Lent

Readings of the Day
RB: Ch 41 The Times for Meals
Mass: Hos 14:2-10; Resp Ps 81; Mk 12:28-34



I am the Lord your God: hear my voice.

HEART OF JESUS, SOURCE OF ALL CONSOLATION,
HAVE MERCY ON US.

The Lord speaks to us through the prophet Hosea: "Return to the Lord; Say to Him, 'Forgive all iniquity, and receive what is good'" (Hos 14:3). The Lord will heal our defection and love us freely for His wrath is turned away from us (Hos 14:5). Be not afraid, or take a risk as Pope Francis tells us in The Joy of the Gospel,  for "whenever we take a step towards Jesus, we come to realize that he is already there, waiting for us with open arms" (3). Indeed, "now is the time to say to Jesus: 'Lord, I have let myself be deceived; in a thousand ways I have shunned your love, yet here I am once more, to renew my covenant with you. I need you. Save me once again, Lord, take me once more into your redeeming embrace'" (3). Remember "how good it feels to come back to Him whenever we are lost!" Encouraging us, Pope Francis continues: "Let me say this once more: God never tires of forgiving us; we are the ones who tire of seeking His mercy" (3).

May we not grow weary then. Our loving, merciful, and compassionate Lord Jesus Christ is waiting for us. Let us be about the joy of today's Gospel and bear in our hearts the first of all the commandments: The Lord our God is Lord alone! You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength (Mk 12:29-30). And in our words and deeds the second: You shall love your neighbor as yourself (Mk 12:31).

THE LORD IS KIND AND MERCIFUL, SLOW TO ANGER, ABOUNDING IN KINDNESS.
(Ps 103:8)

We join the Holy Father in prayer:

Let us pray for doctors, hospital staff, and volunteers who are giving their own lives to save others. And for civil leaders, for those who have to make decisions at this time. All these people are the pillars defending us in this crisis.

© Gertrude Feick 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment