Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Tuesday of the Thirtieth Week in Ordinary Time

Readings of the Day
RB: Ch 22 Sleeping Arrangements for Monks
Mass: Rm 8:18-25; Resp Ps 126; Lk 13:18-21


The Lord has done marvels for us.

Struggling with what to write this morning, I stumbled across a quotation from Alice in Wonderland, a book I happened to re-read fairly recently. In fact, it may have been the first time I read it! Here's an exchange between Alice and the Queen: "There's no use trying," Alice said. "One can't believe impossible things." "I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." Yes, a mustard seed can become a large bush with birds of the sky dwelling in its branches. And yeast mixed in with three measures of wheat flour can leaven a whole batch of dough! (Lk 13:18-21).

IN HOPE WE WERE SAVED. NOW HOPE THAT SEES FOR ITSELF IS NOT HOPE. FOR WHO HOPES FOR WHAT ONE SEES? BUT IF WE HOPE FOR WHAT WE DO NOT SEE, WE WAIT WITH ENDURANCE.
(Rm 8:24-25) 

Hope is to live in anticipation of meeting the Lord. It's like throwing an anchor to the other shore and clinging to the rope. 
(Pope Francis, Twitter, October 29, 2019)

Today's photo: Cannon Beach, Oregon. Courtesy of d.

© Gertrude Feick 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment