Saturday, October 19, 2019

Saturday of the Twenty-Eighth Week in Ordinary Time

Saints John de Brébeuf, Isaac Jogues, and Companions (martyred 1642-1649)
Saint Paul of the Cross (1694-1775)
Blessed Virgin Mary

Readings of the Day
RB: Ch 15 The Times for Saying Alleluia
Mass: Rm 4:13, 16-18; Resp Ps 105; Lk 12:8-12


The Lord remembers his covenant forever.

MARY, QUEEN OF MARTYRS, 
PRAY FOR US.


In this missionary month, we are remembering many courageous missionaries who traveled to  hostile environments to spread the Good News. We are all missionaries and the Holy Father supports us: "I encourage you to bring the light of the Gospel to our contemporaries. May you be witnesses of freedom and mercy, allowing fraternity and dialogue to prevail over divisions" (Pope Francis, Twitter, October 19, 2019). What is one way you will bring the light of the Gospel to our contemporaries? No matter what environment you find yourself in, or what kind of response you receive, remember Jesus' words: Do not worry about how or what your defense will be or about what you are to say. For the Holy Spirit will teach you at that moment what you should say (Lk 12:11-12). Or maybe you won't speak at all and so bring the light of the Gospel to others with small acts of kindness.

Jesus, my Lord and Savior, what can I give you in return for all the favors you have conferred on me? I will take from your hand the cup of your sufferings and call on your name … I vow to you, Jesus my Savior, that as far as I have the strength I will never fail to accept the grace of martyrdom, if some day you in your infinite mercy should offer it to me, your most unworthy servant. 
(From the spiritual diaries of Saint John de Brébeuf, priest and martyr, in the Second Reading, Office of Readings, October 19)

SAINTS JOHN DE BRÉBEUF, ISAAC JOGUES, AND COMPANIONS,
SAINT PAUL OF THE CROSS,
PRAY FOR US.

© Gertrude Feick 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment