Friday, October 25, 2019

Friday of the Twenty-Ninth Week in Ordinary Time

Readings of the Day
RB: Ch 18:20-25
Mass: Rm 7:18-25a; Resp Ps 119; Lk 14:54-59


Lord, you are good and bountiful, teach me your statutes.

How true is it our human condition as St Paul reminds us today: "The willing is ready at hand, but doing the good is not. For I do not do the good I want, but I do the evil I do not want." Lord, Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, help us to go to a deeper place. Or as Pope Francis tweets, "let us ask the Lord for the light to understand what is happening within us" (October 25, 2019). 11th century poet and philosopher Solomon ibn Gabirol puts it this way: "Of what avail is an open eye, if the heart is blind?"


Our self-acceptance is the basis of the Christian creed. Assent to God starts in our sincere assent to ourselves … In accepting the chalice of our existence, we show our obedience to the will of the Creator in heaven.
(Johannes Baptist Metz, Poverty of Spirit)

Today's photo: Walpole, Massachusetts. Courtesy of my sister-in-law.

© Gertrude Feick 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment