Thursday, October 17, 2019

Thursday of the Twenty-Eighth Week in Ordinary Time

Saint Ignatius of Antioch (-107)

Readings of the Day
RB: Ch 13:12-14
Mass: Rm 3:21-30; Resp Ps 130; Lk 11:47-54


I trust in the Lord; my soul trusts in his word.

HEART OF JESUS, HOPE OF THOSE WHO DIE IN THEE,
HAVE MERCY ON US.

Ignatius of Antioch left us with seven letters, written on his way to Rome to be martyred. You can read excerpts from many of them in our Catechism. We turn to St Ignatius of Antioch, and ask him to intercede for us, that we may have the strength, joy, and courage to face our daily dying to self. Dying to our self-will, our whims and appetites, preferences, and whatever hinders us from keeping our eyes fixed on Christ. 

It is better for me to die in Christ Jesus than to reign over the ends of the earth. Him it is I seek-who died for us. Him it is I desire-who rose for us. I am on the point of giving birth … Let me receive pure light; when I shall have arrived there, then I shall be a man.
(Ignatius of Antioch, Letter to the Romans, 6, 1-2, in CCC 1010)

Almighty ever-living God, who adorn the sacred body of your Church with the confessions of holy Martyrs, grant, we pray, that, just as the glorious passion of Saint Ignatius of Antioch, which we celebrate today, brought him eternal splendor, 
so it may be for us unending protection.
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.
(Collect, Mass)

SAINT IGNATIUS OF ANTIOCH, 
PRAY FOR US.

© Gertrude Feick 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment