Saturday, May 4, 2019

Saturday of the Second Week of Easter

First Saturday of the Month
The English Martyrs (16th-17th century)

Readings of the Day
RB: Prologue 14-20
Mass: Acts 6:1-7; Resp Ps 33; Jn 6:16-21


Lord, let your mercy be on us, as we place our trust in you.

In the words of the psalmist, St Benedict poses a simple question in today's passage from the Holy Rule: "Is there anyone here who yearns for life and desires to see good days?" Benedict continues, "If you hear this and your answer is 'I do,' God then directs these words to you: If you desire true and eternal life, keep your tongue free from vicious talk and your lips from all deceit; turn away from evil and do good; let peace be your quest and aim." Our holy father Benedict goes on to say: "Once you have done this, my eyes will be upon you and my ears will listen for your prayers; and even before you ask me, I will say to you: Here I am." One last question for this First Saturday of the Month: "What, dear brothers and sisters, is more delightful than this voice of the Lord calling to us?" I can't think of anything more delightful. For all of us then, "See how the Lord in his love shows us the way of life." This is the Lord who says: IT IS I. DO NOT BE AFRAID.

Lord, transform me completely into yourself, maintain in me a holy zeal for your glory, give me the grace and spiritual strength to do your holy will in all things.
(Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska)

ALL ENGLISH MARTYRS, PRAY FOR US.

No comments:

Post a Comment