Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Tuesday of the Thirteenth Week in Ordinary Time

The First Martyrs of the Holy Roman Church (1st century)

Readings of the Day
RB: Ch 23 Excommunication for Faults
Mass: Amos 3:1-8; 4:11-12; Resp Ps 5; Mt 8:23-27


Lead me in your justice, Lord.

HEART OF JESUS, OBEDIENT EVEN TO DEATH,
HAVE MERCY ON US.

Today's focus is on the Rule of Saint Benedict and the chapters offered for study and reflection in the coming days (RB 23-30). Sadly, some dismiss these chapters as no longer relevant. Maybe 'correction' isn't applied in the same ways as it was in the 6th century (e.g., subjecting the young to severe fasts or checking them with sharp strokes, see RB 30:3), yet I'm fairly certain human beings continue to behave in similar ways and as a result need to be corrected. The chapters address what happens when community members commit faults, some revealed in today's chapter, for example when a member is found to be stubborn or disobedient or proud, or if she grumbles, despises the holy rule and defies the orders of her seniors (RB 23:1).

There are many things to keep in mind when reflecting on these chapters and applying St Benedict's teaching to a home, community, work, parish, or committee situation. Some may come in the form of questions such as, "How does my behavior affect others?"; "What happens if I refuse to accept that my behavior has caused a disturbance in one way or another?" (RB 23); "How am I with fraternal correction? Do I find myself readily able to dish it out yet somehow unable to take it?" Am I quick to make excuses, or can I just accept that my behavior is unacceptable?"; "What happens when I act out in anger so that others know I am angry?"; "What happens when I 'champion' someone who has been corrected?" (RB 26); "Do I ever need to just step back, take a breath, accept that I made a mistake or caused a disturbance, and offer a heartfelt apology?" O God, come to my assistance; Lord, make haste to help me.


I trust in the Lord; my soul trusts in his word.
ALLELUIA.
(Gospel Acclamation, Mass)

THE FIRST MARTYRS OF THE HOLY ROMAN CHURCH,
PRAY FOR US.

Today's photo: This shot from our garden of delight taken just for this last day of the month.

© Gertrude Feick 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment