Monday, June 22, 2020

Monday of the Twelfth Week in Ordinary Time

Saint John Fisher, bishop, martyr (1469-1535); Saint Thomas More, martyr (1477-1535); Saint Paulinus of Nola (355-431)

Readings of the Day
RB: Ch 18:1-6 The Order of the Psalmody
Mass: 2 Kgs 17:8, 13-15a, 18; Resp Ps 60; Mt 7:1-5


Help us with your right hand, O Lord, and answer us.

HEART OF JESUS, IN WHOM THERE DWELLS THE FULLNESS OF GOD,
HAVE MERCY ON US.

In today's chapter of the Holy Rule, Saint Benedict instructs that each hour of the Divine Office should begin with words from the psalmist: God, come to my assistance; Lord, make haste to help me (Ps 69[70]:2/RB 18:1). There are likely many occasions throughout the day when this prayer will help and strengthen us.

In today's Gospel, Jesus is clear: Stop judging, that you will not be judged (Mt 7:1). Not much comment needed on that one. So how about this prayer by Saint Thomas More, "A Prayer for our Enemies":

Almighty God, have mercy on N. and N., and on all that bear me evil will, and would me harm. Their faults and mine together, by such easy, tender, merciful means as thine infinite wisdom best can devise, vouchsafe to amend and redress; and make us saved souls in heaven together, where we may ever live and love together with thee and thy blessed saints, O glorious Trinity, for the bitter passion of our sweet Savior Christ. Amen.
Lord, give me patience in tribulation and grace in everything, to conform my will to thine, that I may truly say: "Fiat voluntas tua, sicut in caelo et in terra".
The things, good Lord, that I pray for, give me thy grace to labour for. Amen.


SAINT JOHN FISHER, 
SAINT THOMAS MORE, 
SAINT PAULINUS OF NOLA,
PRAY FOR US.

Today's photo: You've seen a picture like this before; not this one though. I took it just yesterday in the late afternoon. So important it is to look up. I continue to marvel at the vivid colors shown here in the green trees and blue sky.

© Gertrude Feick 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment