Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Tuesday of the Fifth Week of Easter

International Nurses Day
Saints Nereus and Achilleus, martyrs; Saint Pancras, martyr

Readings of the Day
RB: Ch 2:11-15
Mass: Acts 14:19-28; Resp Ps 145; Jn 14:27-31a



Your friends make known, O Lord, the glorious splendor of your kingdom.

MARY, HEALTH OF THE SICK,
PRAY FOR US.

Today is International Nurses Day. We give a shout of gratitude and admiration for all nurses, a most noble vocation. I am blessed to have a sister who is a Nurse Practitioner at Shriners Hospital for Children-Northern California. A special shout goes out then for her and her colleagues. And also for my Licensed Vocational Nurse cousin and her colleagues at Kaiser Permanente Santa Rose. My cousin has this to say about her vocation: "It's a great job. I love what I do." For all nurses then, keep going with the words of Jesus: Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give it to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled (Jn 14:27), words of comfort for all of us.

Jesus shows us the way to true peace; obedience to the Father's will rather than to the clamor of self-interest. In living as he lived, we not only live in peace ourselves; we also make a place of peace for all those around us.
(Magnificat, Prayer for the Morning, May 12, 2020)

We pray with the Holy Father:

Nursing is more than a profession-it's a vocation, a dedication. During this pandemic, they have given us an example of heroism. Some have even given their lives. Let us pray together for nurses.

SAINTS NEREUS AND ACHILLEUS,
SAINT PANCRAS,
PRAY FOR US.

Today's photo: Wild Iris, aerial view.

© Gertrude Feick 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment