Saturday, May 2, 2020

Saturday of the Third Week of Easter

First Saturday of the Month
Saint Athanasius (295-373)

Readings of the Day
RB: Prologue 1-7
Mass: Acts 9:31-42; Resp Ps 116; Jn 6:60-69


How shall I make a return to the Lord for all the good he has done for me.


MARY, MORNING STAR,
PRAY FOR US.

During Mary's Month of May, each reflection will begin by invoking Mary using a title from the Litany of the Blessed Virgin Mary. On this First Saturday of the Month is one of my favorites, Mary, Morning Star.

On the subject of beginning, we are back to the Prologue of the Rule of Saint Benedict to commence the second straight through read of the year. Among other gems in today's passage is this one: "First of all, every time you begin a good work, you must pray to God most earnestly to bring it to perfection" (RB Prol 4). Some psalm verses to select for prayer every time you begin a good work, or throughout your Saturday routine and encounters with others, whether they be in close proximity or standing 6 feet away, are these: "Lord, I call to you; come quickly to help me; listen to my plea when I call" (Ps 141:1); "With full voice I cry to the Lord; with full voice I beseech the Lord" (Ps 142:1); "Lord, hear, my prayer; in your faithfulness listen to my pleading; answer me in your justice" (Ps 143:1).

One response I had to today's Gospel is this. Some of the disciples were just so shocked by the teaching of Jesus, namely, that whoever eats His Flesh and drinks His Blood has eternal life (Jn 6:54), that they returned to their former way of life and no longer walked with Him (Jn 6:66). I happened to be to town yesterday to collect provisions. It had been about two weeks since the last journey. One thing that occurred to me is that I don't think any of us will be returning to our former way of life, or way about doing with ease all the things we did and took for granted. The best response is to keep walking with Jesus. Our Lord did say: The words I have spoken to you are Spirit and life (Jn 6:63); and, I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me (Jn 14:6).

We pray with the Holy Father:

For government leaders, heads of state, legislators, mayors, heads of regions. That the Lord might help them and grant them strength because their work is not easy. When there are differences among them, may they understand that in moments of crisis they must be very united for the good of their people because unity is superior to conflict.

SAINT ATHANASIUS,
PRAY FOR US.

Today's photo: Thanks d for the blooming onion.

© Gertrude Feick 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment