Thursday, January 23, 2020

Thursday of the Second Week in Ordinary Time

Week of Prayer for Christian Unity: "They showed us unusual kindness"

Saint Marianne Cope (1838-1918)
Saint Vincent, deacon, martyr (-304)

Reading of the Day
RB: Ch 5:14-19
Mass: 1 Sm 18:6-9; 19:1-7; Resp Ps 56; Mk 3:7-12


In God I trust; I shall not fear.

GOD LOVES A CHEERFUL GIVER.
(RB 5:16/2 Cor 9:7)

We turn this day to St Benedict for inspiration. We are busy in his chapter on obedience where he quotes St Paul as above. Even though Benedict is focusing primarily on obedience to the abbot or abbess in Ch 5, Benedict devotes Ch 71 to "Mutual Obedience" as "obedience is a blessing to be shown to all, not only to the abbot but also to one another as brothers or sisters, since we know that it is by this way of obedience that we go to God" (RB 71:1-2). May we go about our day, then, cheerfully and joyfully. When someone asks us to do something or help them out, may we do so with eager willingness, not "cringing or sluggish or half-hearted, but free from any grumbling" (RB 5:14). No matter the inconvenience; no matter if the request contradicts our plans; no matter who the request comes from, may we "conform to the saying of the Lord: I have come not to do my own will, but the will of him who sent me (Jn 6:38)" (RB 5:13). Let us sing with the psalmist as we did at Morning Prayer:

Sacrifice and offering you do not want;
but ears open to obedience you gave me.
Holocausts and sin-offerings you do not require;
so I said, "Here I am;
your commands for me are written in the scroll.
To do your will is my delight;
my God, your law is in my heart!"
(Ps 40:7-9)

SAINT MARIANNE COPE,
SAINT VINCENT,
PRAY FOR US.

© Gertrude Feick 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment