Friday, January 24, 2020

Friday of the Second Week in Ordinary Time

Week of Prayer for Christian Unity: "They showed us unusual kindness"
Saint Francis de Sales, Bishop, Doctor (1567-1622)

Readings of the Day 
RB: Ch 6 Restraint of Speech
Mass: 1 Sm 24:3-21; Resp Ps 57; Mk 3:13-19


Be exalted above the heavens, O God; above all the earth be your glory!

THE TONGUE HOLDS THE KEY TO LIFE AND DEATH.
(RB 6:5/Prov 18:21)

Today's chapter from the Holy Rule, Ch 6, "Restraint of Speech", is a gem. It relates to many aspects of contemporary society, and can be applied at work, home, in community or wherever we find ourselves gathered with others. It can also be applied during this week of prayer for Christian unity, when we are more focused on extending unusual acts of kindness. For example, the chapter concludes in this way: "We absolutely condemn in all places any vulgarity and gossip and talk leading to laughter, and we do not permit a disciple to engage in words of that kind" (RB 6:8).

It was something I read about our saint of the day, St Francis de Sales, that stood out as a connection with the wisdom of St Benedict. Trusty Universalis has this to say: "St Francis is the patron saint of writers and journalists, who would do well to imitate his love and moderation: as he said, 'whoever wants to preach effectively must preach with love.'" We go forth this day, "to follow the Prophet's counsel: I said, I have resolved to keep watch over my ways that I may never sin with my tongue, I have put a guard on my mouth, I was silent and was humbled, and I refrained even from good words (Ps 38[3]:2-3)" (RB 6:1). Living and true God, grant us the grace.


IN A FLOOD OF WORDS YOU WILL NOT AVOID SIN.
(RB 6:4/Prov10:19)


SAINT FRANCIS DE SALES,
PRAY FOR US.

© Gertrude Feick 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment