Friday, January 17, 2020

Friday of the First Week in Ordinary Time

Saint Anthony, Abbot (251-356)

Readings of the Day
RB: Ch 3:7-13
Mass: 1 Sm 4:1-11; Resp Ps 44; Mk 1:40-45

Forever will I sing the goodness of the Lord.

HE OPENED THEIR MINDS TO UNDERSTAND THE SCRIPTURES.
(Lk 24:45)

I was reminded this morning by Vatican News of the newly established "Sunday of the Word of God", to be celebrated on the Third Sunday in Ordinary Time, this year January 26. It is to be a special day devoted to "the celebration, study and dissemination of the Word of God" (Pope Francis, Apostolic Letter Aperuit Illis, 3). As reported, it is an initiative that the Pope has entrusted to the whole Church so that "the Christian community may set aside moments to reflect on the great importance of the Word of God for everyday living" (Aperuit illis 2).

Thinking of this renewal for all of us and inspired by Saint Anthony, I looked over the Gospel readings of this past week, beginning with the Baptism of the Lord celebrated last Sunday and looking ahead to tomorrow. I asked, "How is the Word of God speaking to me?" "How might I better go about the day to day of Christian living in order to grow closer to the Lord and to my sisters and brothers?" These are huge questions so if you choose to join me, perhaps you might want to focus on one common thread that emerges from your reflection. It need not take long. One could go through the Gospel of each day and underline one line that stands out, then think about what Jesus is saying to you personally. What follows are lines that stood out for me. I think of some ways Jesus is speaking to me and calling me to follow Him more closely. I leave you to your reflection on the Word.

This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased (Mt 3:17).
Quiet! Come out of him! (Mk 1:25)
"Jesus approached, grasped her hand, and helped her up" (Mk1:31).
I will do it. Be made clean (Mk 1:41).
Child, your sins are forgiven (Mk 2:5)
Those who are well do not need a physician, but the sick do. I did not come to call the righteous but sinners (Mk 2:17).

You called Saint Anthony to lead others to holiness:
grant us the faith to live as beacons of light for others.
YOUR WORD IS A LAMP FOR OUR STEPS.
(Magnificat, Intercessions, January 17, 2020)

SAINT ANTHONY,
PRAY FOR US.

© Gertrude Feick 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment