Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Wednesday of the Fourth Week in Ordinary Time

Saint Agatha, 3rd century martyr

Readings of the Day
RB: Ch 7:55
Mass: 2 Sm 24:2, 9-17; Resp Ps 32; Mk 6:1-6


You are my shelter, Lord, from my distress you will preserve me.

Today's offering is a bit of a mix. First comes a short prayer that could be used throughout the day. It is based on the Responsorial Psalm and the Gospel. Lord, forgive the wrong I have done (Ps 32:5). Increase my faith (Mk 6:6).

Second, something I have wanted to share for some time. It is entitled, "Ode XIV The Disciple Speaks". We sang it at Morning Prayer. It seems a fitting one to begin the day.

Turn not from your mercies, O Lord,
and take not me from me your kindness.
Stretch out to me, O Lord, at all times your right hand,
and be my guide, even unto the end,
according to your good pleasure.
Let me be well-pleasing before you,
because of your glory, and because of your Name.
Let me be preserved from evil
and let your meekness, O Lord, abide in me,
and the fruits of your love.
Teach me the psalms of your truth,
that I may bring forth fruit in you.
And open to me the harp of the Holy Spirit,
that with all notes I may praise you, O Lord.
And, according to the multitude of your tender mercies,
so you shall give to me.

And from the Holy Father, taken from his General Audience, where he continued his catechesis on the Beatitudes (Mt 5:1-11). I watched a YouTube of today's Audience. As the Holy Father has asked of us, let us pray for him. I noticed that his limp seems to be more pronounced. Sciatica is painful. Yet Pope Francis limps along with a sincere and bright smile, paying attention to the many people who are crying out for attention. Living and true God, help us to accept and seek the poverty of which the Holy Father speaks and models. A prophet is not without honor except in his native place and among his own kin and in his own house (Mk 6:4)

There is a poverty that we must accept, that of our own being, and a poverty that we must seek instead-a concrete one-from the things of this world, in order to be free and to be able to love.
(Pope Francis, Twitter, February 5, 2020)
SAINT AGATHA,
PRAY FOR US.

Today's photo: A taste of our weather of late. Frost on the pumpkin in the morn, with a bright and shiny day to follow.

© Gertrude Feick 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment