Sunday, September 16, 2018

Twenty-Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Readings of the Day
RB: Ch 3:1-6 Summoning the Community for Counsel
Mass: Is 50:4c-9a; Resp Ps 116; Jm 2:14-18; Mk 8:27-35


I will walk before the Lord, in the land of the living. (Resp Ps 116)

From the monastery, if one is willing to run for about 20 minutes, then walk another 10 up a steep incline, she will be afforded the magnificent view shown above. It is not a bad place to ponder Jesus' question: 'But who do you say that I am?' That said, wherever you find yourself, at any given moment this day, you might ponder the question. Come to think of it, the question may lead to fruitful discussion around the Sunday dinner table. At the same time, we remember Jesus' words, what I call the essential function of the job of a disciple: 'Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me.' Crosses present themselves in various sizes, often at times when we least expect them: unearned rebukes, irritations, physical aches and pains, the news of the death of a loved one, being overlooked, having a job taken away... There are times when we cry with the psalmist: 'The cords of death encompassed me; the snares of the netherworld seized upon me; I fell into distress and sorrow'. There comes a time when we shout and call 'upon the name of the Lord, O Lord, save my life!' Jesus is with each and every one of us, giving us the strength and courage to face whatever comes our way. Indeed, 'whoever loses his life for my sake and that of the gospel will save it'; we will 'walk before the Lord, in the land of the living.'

BUT WHO DO YOU SAY THAT I AM?

There is no spiritual maturity without the Cross. If you don't meet the cross sometime in your life you can never be spiritually mature; you remain spiritually a child.
(Basil Hume)

LOOK UPON US, O GOD,
CREATOR AND RULER OF ALL THINGS,
AND, THAT WE MAY FEEL THE WORKING OF YOUR MERCY,
GRANT THAT WE MAY SERVE YOU WITH ALL OUR HEART.
THROUGH OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST, YOUR SON,
WHO LIVES AND REIGNS WITH YOU IN THE UNITY
OF THE HOLY SPIRIT,
ONE GOD, FOR EVER AND EVER.
AMEN.
(Collect, Mass)



No comments:

Post a Comment