Thursday, November 21, 2019

Thursday of the Thirty-Third Week in Ordinary Time

The Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Readings of the Day
RB: Ch 43:1-12 Tardiness at the Work of God or at Table
Mass: Memorial: Zec 2:14-17; Resp Ps (Lk 1); Mt 12:46-50
Macc 2:15-29; Resp Ps 50; Lk 19:41-44


The Lord has done great things for me, and holy is his Name.

THE GOSPEL IS FULL OF QUESTIONS THAT ATTEMPT TO UNSETTLE, TO STIR AND TO INVITE THE DISCIPLES TO SET OUT, TO DISCOVER THE TRUTH THAT IS CAPABLE OF GIVING AND GENERATING LIFE.

(Pope Francis, Twitter, November 21, 2019)

Jesus asks questions as we celebrate the presentation of His Mother's "'dedication' of herself to God from her infancy, inspired by the Holy Spirit, whose grace had filled her ever since her immaculate conception" (Universalis). First, Who is my mother?; second, Who are my brothers? The Lord then stretches out His hand to us: Here are my mother and my brothers. For whoever does the will of my heavenly Father is my brother, my sister, and my mother. We ask Mary, spiritual vessel, to pray for us, so that we, with her, are inspired by the Holy Spirit and say: "Let it be done to me according to your word" (Lk 1:38). "My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord: my spirit rejoices in God my savior"! (Lk 1:46).

Just as grace and glory flowed from this woman's body, so it can be said that every generation of saints truly arose from her by what we can only call the wonderful mystery of divine fruitfulness.
(John of Forde)

PRAISE THE LORD OUR GOD, FOR IN MARY HIS HANDMAID HE HAS FULFILLED HIS PROMISE OF MERCY TO THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL.
(Communion Antiphon, Mass)

Today's photo: Courtesy of our chaplain.

© Gertrude Feick 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment