Saturday, November 16, 2019

Saturday of the Thirty-Second Week in Ordinary Time

Saint Gertrude the Great of Helfta (1256-1301/2)
Saint Margaret of Scotland (1046-1093)
Blessed Virgin Mary

Readings of the Day
RB: Ch 38 The Weekly Reader
Mass: Wis 18:14-16; 19:6-9; Resp sp 105; Lk 18:1-8


Remember the marvels the Lord has done!

HEART OF JESUS, DELIGHT OF ALL THE SAINTS,
HAVE MERCY ON US.

Praise God from whom all blessings flow we celebrate two great saints today: my patron, much loved by all disciples of Saint Benedict, and mystic close to the heart of Jesus, Gertrude the Great!; wife, queen, and mother of eight children, Margaret of Scotland! Among other things, Margaret "reformed the royal court, founded monasteries, and supported major reforms of Church life … she is remembered for the happiness of her marriage, for her devotion to prayer and learning, and especially for her dedication to the poor." Something written about the Mary, the Mother of Jesus, fits both great saints: "Mary 'kept' the word of God in two ways: by reflecting on it often and by living it with utmost fidelity" (Magnificat, Prayer for the Morning, November 16, 2019). We ask all three women to intercede for us so that we learn to "pray always without ceasing" (Lk 18:1) and "range about like horses, and bound about like lambs, praising the Lord! our deliverer" (Wis 19:9).

My God, you who are all Truth, clearer than all light, yet hidden deeper in our heart than any secret.
(Gertrude of Helfta, The Herald of Divine Love, II,1)

May you, in your loving wisdom, deign to assist me in combining to your satisfaction the active and the contemplative life.
(Gertrude the Great, The Herald of Divine Love, II, 10)

May you ever find me as attentive to yourself, as you show yourself attentive to me.
(Gertrude the Great, The Herald of Divine Love, II, 3)

May my soul bless you (Ps 102:1), Lord God my creator! May my soul bless you and, out of the very marrow of my inmost being, let me proclaim the mercies of the overflowing love with which you enfold me, O my sweetest lover!
(Gertrude of Helfta, The Herald of Divine Love, II, 23)

SAINT GERTRUDE THE GREAT,
SAINT MARGARET OF SCOTLAND,
BLESSED VIRGIN MARY,
PRAY FOR US. 

© Gertrude Feick 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment