Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Tuesday of the Twenty-Third Week in Ordinary Time

Readings of the Day
RB: Ch 2:1-10 Qualities of the Abbot or Abbess
Mass: Col 2:6-15; Resp Ps 145; Lk 6:12-19


The Lord is compassionate toward all his works.

We had a reading at noon prayer yesterday that I wanted to include today. It is not meant to be a commentary on today's Gospel although it is not unrelated. 

A GREAT CROWD OF HIS DISCIPLES AND A LARGE NUMBER OF PEOPLE … CAME TO HEAR HIM AND TO BE HEALED OF THEIR DISEASES.

I have ascended to the highest in me, and look, the Lord is towering above that. In my curiosity I have descended to explore my lowest depths, yet I found God even deeper. If I looked outside myself, I saw God stretching beyond the furthest I could see; and if I looked within, God was yet further within. Then I knew the truth of what I had read, "In God we live and move and have our being."
(Bernard of Clairvaux)

And let's try this one from noon prayer today.

POWER CAME FORTH FROM HIM AND HEALED THEM ALL.

God did not love us insignificantly or indifferently or meagerly, but fully and richly; not with feigned or false love, but purely and sincerely; not just in appearance, not just outwardly, as though it were only on the surface, but inwardly, from the bottom of God's heart; not in word or tongue, but in deed and truth.
(Baldwin of Forde)

No comments:

Post a Comment