Monday, September 9, 2019

Monday of the Twenty-Third Week in Ordinary Time

Saint Peter Claver (1581-1654)

Readings of the Day
RB: Ch 1:6-12
Mass: Col 1:24-2:3; Resp Ps 62; Lk 6:6-11


Only in God be at rest, my soul, for from him comes my hope.

I wonder how the man with the withered hand in today's Gospel felt when Jesus called him out from the crowd. Jesus' detractors were watching him closely. There must have been plenty of smirking, throat clearing, and whispering among them when Jesus called this "sinner" forward. Did the man with the withered hand stand tall, or was he stooped over in embarrassment. How do you think you would feel? It occurs to me that Jesus is calling me to stand up, withered and all, and come to him for healing and mercy. We pray for the grace to stand before the Lord who loves us, with open hands and heart. 

Trust in Him at all times, O my people! Pour out your hearts before Him; God is our refuge!
(Resp Ps 62)

HEART OF JESUS, PATIENT AND RICH IN MERCY,
HAVE MERCY ON US. 

Saint Peter Claver, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment