Friday, August 23, 2019

Friday of the Twentieth Week in Ordinary Time

Saint Rose of Lima (1586-1617)

Readings of the Day
RB: Ch 65:11-22
Mass: Ruth 1:1, 3-6, 14b-16, 22; Resp Ps 146; Mt 22:34-40


Praise the Lord, my soul! Who made heaven and earth, the sea and all that is in them.

We are treated today with a reading from the Book of Ruth. If time permits, you may enjoy sitting down to read the book in its entirety. It is a beautiful story contained in four short chapters. Two lines stand out for me. First, one partly included in the reading at Mass. Ruth responds to Naomi who encouraged Ruth to return to her people: "Do not ask me to abandon or forsake you! for wherever you will go I will go, wherever you lodge I will lodge, your people shall be my people, and your God my God. Wherever you die I will die, and there be buried. May the Lord do so and so to me, and more besides, if aught but death separates me from you" (1:16-17). My New American Bible footnotes Ruth's response: "An example of heroic fidelity and piety. Ruth's decision, confirmed with an oath, to adhere to her mother-in-law impelled her to abandon her country and its pagan worship." Second, Boaz's words to Ruth when he learns of her faithfulness to Naomi: "May the Lord reward what you have done! May you receive a full reward from the Lord, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come for refuge" (2:12).

We are gifted today with examples of faithful men and women who took to heart the greatest commandment: You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
.
SAINT ROSE OF LIMA, PRAY FOR US.

Today's photo: More beauty from Maui.

No comments:

Post a Comment