Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Tuesday of the Fifteenth Week in Ordinary Time

Our Lady of Mount Carmel

Readings of the Day
RB: Ch 37 Care for the Elderly and for the Young
Mass: Ex 2:1-15a; Resp Ps 69; Mt 11:20-24


Turn to the Lord in your need and you will live.


With today's reading from the Book of Exodus, I think of Cecil B DeMille's 1956 blockbuster "The Ten Commandments," with Charles Heston as Moses and Yul Brynner as Rameses. It was one of my favorites as a child. I was a faithful viewer when it was on TV annually. Was it around Thanksgiving? Or was that "The Sound of Music," another favorite? Both magnificent films.

I just watched the YouTube clip of yet to be named Moses being sent down the river in the papyrus basket, daubed with bitumen and pitch, by his mother Jochebed (Ex 6:20) and sister Miriam. Jochebed prayed to God before releasing Moses: "God of Abraham, take my child into Thy hands that he may live to Thy service." Miriam replied, "But mother, we have not even given him a name!" With trust, her mother answered: "God will give him a name. Follow it, Miriam, watch it from the reeds. See where the Lord will lead him." May we have such faith.

But I pray to you, O Lord, for the time of your favor, O God!
In your great kindness answer me with your constant help.

OUR LADY OF MOUNT CARMEL, PRAY FOR US.

No comments:

Post a Comment