Monday, July 8, 2019

Monday of the Fourteenth Week in Ordinary Time

Readings of the Day
RB: Ch 31:1-12 The Qualities of the Cellarer
Mass: Gn 28:10-22a; Resp Ps 91; Mt 9:18-26


In you, my God, I place my trust.

HEART OF JESUS, PATIENT AND MOST MERCIFUL,
HAVE MERCY ON US.

It is through the lens of a line from John Cassian that I reflect on today's Gospel: "God's generosity is shaped according to the capacity of human faith." First, there is the official who knelt before Jesus and believed: "My daughter has just died. But come, lay your hand on her, and she will live." Second, the woman suffering hemorrhages for twelve! years: "If only I can touch his cloak, I shall be cured." The little girl arose … the woman was cured. Living and true God, Divine Healer, increase our faith. 

I KEPT FAITH, EVEN WHEN I SAID, "I AM GREATLY AFFLICTED."
(Ps 116:10)

The following two quotations are from William of St Thierry (12th century Cistercian):

Give me also, Lord, a faith devout and pure, holy, strong, and unassailable, so that, bestowing grace for grace, you may say even of me: Go, for your faith has made you whole.

We pray because you tell us to do so; we ask with confidence, because we have your promise; and forthwith you run to meet us and answer our prayer, finding in us a ground for your forgiveness, because you have yourself made us forgivable. 

Today's photo: Larkspur, paintbrush, and cat's ear in the Western Cascades, Oregon.

No comments:

Post a Comment