Saturday, July 13, 2019

Saturday of the Fourteenth Week in Ordinary Time

Saint Henry (973-1024)
Blessed Virgin Mary

Readings of the Day
RB: Ch 35:1-11 Kitchen Servers of the Week
Mass: Gn 49:29-32; 50:15-26a; Resp Ps 105; Mt 10:24-33


Be glad you lowly ones; may your hearts be glad!

Nothing is concealed that will not be revealed, nor secret that will not be known. What I say to you in darkness, speak in the light; what you hear whispered, proclaim on the housetops … Everyone who acknowledges me before others I will acknowledge before my heavenly Father. But whoever denies me before others, I will deny before my heavenly Father.
(Mt 10: 26-27, 32-33)

With these words from our Lord in today's Gospel, I turn to a little book I just started the other day, Caryll Houselander's (1901-1954) This War is the Passion (Notre Dame: Ave Maria Press, 2008). It was Caryll's first book, written "during Britain's precarious days of war with the axis powers of Germany", and published in 1941. 

If chance occurs, we shall explain our faith; at all events shall be able to. We shall have to know it so well that it is in our blood, and to adhere to it so well, that we can in a certain way give it, just by being what we are. Thus we must be the book of the gospels ourselves, with the words and teachings of Christ in our minds, but also in our hearts, and whenever the occasion demands, upon our lips. That is something that the daily Mass reminds us of constantly, when we make the triple Sign of the Cross before the gospel (p. 8).

SAINT HENRY; MARY, HELP OF CHRISTIANS,
PRAY FOR US.

Today's photo: A scene from our garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment