Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Saint Maximilian Kolbe, 'Martyr of Charity' (1894 - 1941)

Tuesday of the Nineteenth Week in Ordinary Time

Readings of the Day
RB: Ch 60 The Admission of Priests into the Monastery
Mass: Ezk 2:8-3:4; Resp Ps 119; Mt 18:1-5, 10, 12-14



Today we remember Maximilian Kolbe, Polish Franciscan friar, killed at Auschwitz Concentration Camp, August 14, 1941. Maximilian took the place of another prisoner, both husband and father, who was sentenced to the starvation bunker. My reflection goes to today's Entrance Antiphon at Mass: 'Come, you blessed of my Father, says the Lord. Amen, I say to you: Whatever you did for one of the least of my brethren, you did it for me', and the Communion Antiphon: 'Greater love has no one than to lay down his life for his friends, say the Lord.' What is God asking me to do today, to give of myself, for one of the least of my brothers or sisters? Reach out to someone today.

'For apart from me,' Jesus himself says, 'you can do nothing.' And why? Because if God asks something from us, he surely provides us with the energy we need to carry out his will, on condition that we do not neglect to do our part. We require God's grace in order to function, and our soul can surely obtain that grace through prayer.
(St Maximilian Kolbe)

SAINT MAXIMILIAN KOLBE, PRAY FOR US.

No comments:

Post a Comment