Monday, August 20, 2018

Saint Bernard of Clairvaux, Doctor of the Church (1090-1153)

Readings of the Day
RB: Ch 64:1-6 The Election of an Abbess or Abbot
Mass: 
For the Solemnity of St Bernard: Ws 7:7-10, 15-16;; Resp Ps 18; Ph 3:17-4:1; Jn 17:20-26
For the Feria: Ezk 24:15-24; Resp Ps (Dt 32); Mt 19:16-22


St Mary Magdalene, St Benedict, St Bernard of Clairvaux, and St Catherine of Alexandria
About 1380-1390 tempura and gold on wood
By Agnolo Gaddi, Italian

My oldest sister and I visited the Indianapolis Art Museum last summer and saw this beautiful framed work of art that once formed part of a larger altarpiece. Presented here is a crooked photo I took of it. 🙂 The four great saints depicted include the one we celebrate today, Bernard of Clairvaux, 'the best known of the early Cistercians,' founder and Abbot of the great Abbey at Clairvaux, France. St Bernard, dear to all Cistercians, is celebrated with solemnity. Congratulations to all Cistercians!

Thankfully, I was introduced to St Bernard early in theological studies at Mt Angel Seminary by ever joyful and loving Franciscan Sr Brigid. I wrote a paper on his work, The Steps of Humility and Pride. Sadly, I no longer have it. One thing I remember is that my novice director, Sr Eileen of happy memory, thought it a good idea for me to write about humility. She had other good ideas too. 🙂

Included here is one passage from St Bernard's work on humility and pride:

When Christ says; 'I am the Way and the Truth', he adds, 'and the Life'. It is as if he said: 'I am the Way, I lead to the Truth, I promise Life; and I myself am the very life I give you'. There are some who go astray and cannot find the road. He cries to them: 'I am the Way'. Some doubt and waver in their faith. His word to them is: 'I am the Truth'. To those who grow weary with the climbing his cry is: 'I am the Life'.
(The Steps of Humility and Pride, I, 1)

ST BERNARD, PRAY FOR US.











No comments:

Post a Comment