Friday, July 31, 2020

Friday of the Seventeenth Week in Ordinary Time

Saint Ignatius of Loyola (1491-1556)

Readings of the Day
RB: Ch 49 The Observance of Lent
Mass: Jer 26:1-9; Resp Ps 69; Mt 13:54-58


Lord, in your great love, answer me.

HEART OF JESUS, ABODE OF JUSTICE AND LOVE,
HAVE MERCY ON US.

My reflections focus on the Prophet Jeremiah and Jesus and their responses first, to the world situation in which they found themselves, times so like our own. And second, their responses to those who dismissed and ridiculed them, those who took offense at them. Both Jeremiah and Jesus went on about their business of doing God's will. I do wonder if Jesus finds us like the people in his native place, that is, people of little faith (Mt 13:58). Dear Jesus, increase our faith. May we be people of  peace and good will and sing with the psalmist: But I pray to you, O Lord, for the time of your favor, O God! In your great kindness answer me with your constant help (Ps 69).

Gift
by Czeslaw Milosz (1911-2004)

A day so happy.
Fog lifted early, I worked in the garden.
Hummingbirds were stopping over honeysuckle flowers.
There was no thing on earth I wanted to possess.
I knew no one worth my envying him.
Whatever evil I had suffered, I forgot.
To think that once I was the same man did not
            embarrass me.
In my body I felt no pain.

When straightening up, I saw the blue sea and sails.

SAINT IGNATIUS OF LOYOLA,
PRAY FOR US.

Today's photo: Magenta paintbrush in the area of Mount Rainier, Washington. Courtesy of the Ottos.

© Gertrude Feick 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment