Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Tuesday within the Octave of Easter

 Year of the Family "Amoris Laetitia The Joy of Love"

Saints: Saint Alphege (-1012); Blessed Isnard of Chiampo OP (-1244); Blessed Sibyllina Biscossi OP (C.1287-1367)

Readings of the Day

Rule of Saint Benedict: Ch 63:10-19 Community Rank

Mass: Acts 2:36-41; Resp Ps 33; Jn 20:11-18

The earth is full of the goodness of the Lord.

MARY, QUEEN OF PEACE,
PRAY FOR US.

I have here in front of me one of my favorite holy cards; it served as book marker in this year's Lenten book (see Rule of Saint Benedict 48:15). The card is in my collection of holy cards and comes from the Sacro Speco, that is, the holy cave, in Subiaco, Italy, where Saint Benedict lived for three years. The card is of a fresco in the cave and depicts the encounter between Mary Magdalene and Jesus related in today's Gospel. The Magdalene is on her knees, with outstretched arms, reaching for Jesus, who had called her by name, Mary! The Magdalene replies, "Rabbouni", which means Teacher. The viewer can see in the fresco that Mary Magdalene wants to embrace and hold tight the legs of Jesus. Stop holding on to me, says the Risen Lord, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go, Mary, go, announce the Good News! I am going to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God, says the Lord. We join the Magdalene today, and every day, "I have seen the Lord." Keep your eyes and ears and heart and mind open for such encounters with the Teacher. We have work to do. "This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it" Alleluia, alleluia (Gospel verse, Mass).

A later addition is the reading proclaimed at Lauds this morning:

Upon my bed at night I 
I sought him whom my soul loves;
I sought him, but found him not;
I called him but he gave no answer ...
The watchmen found me,
as they went about in the city.
"Have you seen him whom my soul loves?"
Scarcely had I passed them,
when I found him whom my soul loves.
(Song of Solomon, 3:1, 3-4a)

SAINT ALPHEGE,
BLESSED ISNARD OF CHIAMPO,
BLESSED SIBYLLINA BISCOSSI,
PRAY FOR US.

Today's photo: Happy Easter from this Bald Hill buttercup near Corvallis, OR. Happy Easter, dear  Catherine.

© Gertrude Feick 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment