Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Tuesday of Holy Week

Year of the Family "Amoris Laetitia The Joy of Love"

Saint: Saint Zeno of Verona, Bishop (d. 371)

Readings of the Day

Rule of Saint Benedict: Ch 58:17-29 The Procedure for Receiving New Brothers

Mass: Is 49:1-6; Resp Ps 71; Jn 13:21-33, 36-38  

I will sing of your salvation.

MARY, QUEEN OF PEACE,
PRAY FOR US.

I am made glorious in the sight of the Lord, and my God is now my strength!
(Is 49:5)

There is a lot going on in today's Gospel. We begin with Jesus reclining at table with His disciples. Troubled in spirit, Jesus testifies: Amen, Amen, I say to you, one of you will betray me (Jn 13:21). Imagine the confused looks on some of the disciple's faces, and the fear and anxiety in some of their hearts. "Surely not I," some may think. Or "please, don't let it be me ....", others might be thinking. Others may be busy pointing their fingers at this disciple, or that one. Meanwhile three fingers are pointing at themselves. We close with Jesus, who asks Peter a question: Will you lay down your life for me? (Jn 13:38). This question comes just after Peter declares: "I will lay down my life for you" (Jn 13:37). It may be that some of us (three fingers are pointing at me ...) betray and deny Jesus in little ways every day. Betrayal and denial come in many forms. "Never give a hollow greeting of peace or turn away when someone needs your love" (Rule of Saint Benedict, 4:25-26), our holy father Benedict provides as tools for good works. "Seeing with the eyes of Christ," writes Pope Benedict XVI, "I can give to others much more than their outward necessities; I can give them the look of love which they crave" (Deus caritas est God is love, 18). Heart of Jesus, full of faithfulness and love, have mercy on us.

United in faith and prayer, we march on to Jerusalem during this holy week.  

To attain holiness ... we must not only pattern our lives on Christ's by being gentle, humble and patient, we must also imitate Him in His death. Taking Christ for his model, Paul said that he wanted to become like him in his death in the hope that he too would be raised from death to life.
(From the book On the Holy Spirit by Saint Basil, bishop, in Office of Readings, Tuesday, Holy Week)

SAINT ZENO OF VERONA,
PRAY FOR US.

Today's photo: These "clothed in Lenten violet" tulips are busy singing. Thank you, Catherine.

© Gertrude Feick 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment