Sunday, April 10, 2022

Palm Sunday of the Passion of the Lord

Year of the Family "Amoris Laetitia The Joy of Love"

In other years: Blessed Anthony Neyrot, Dominican Friar, Priest and Martyr (1425-1460)

Readings of the Day

Rule of Saint Benedict: Ch 57 The Artisans of the Monastery

Mass:  Lk 19:28-40; Is 50:4-7; Resp Ps 22; Ph 2:6-11; Lk 22:14;23:56 

All who see me scoff at me.

HEART OF JESUS, VICTIM FOR OUR SINS,
HAVE MERCY ON US.

The whole multitude of His disciples began to praise God aloud with joy for all the mighty deeds they had seen.
(Lk 19:37)

The Donkey
G.K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

When fishes flew and forests walked
And figs grew upon thorn,
Some moment when the moon was blood
Then surely I was born.

When monstrous head and sickening cry
And ears like errant wings,
The devil's walking parody
On all four-footed things.

The tattered outlaw of the earth,
Of ancient crooked will;
Starve, scourge, deride me: I am dumb,
I keep my secret still.

Fools! For I also had my hour;
One far fierce hour and sweet:
There was a shout about my ears,
And palms before my feet.

THE POET THINKS ABOUT THE DONKEY
Mary Oliver (1935-2019)

On the outskirts of Jerusalem
the donkey waited.
Not especially brave, or filled with understanding,
he stood and waited.

How horses, turned out into the meadow,
leap with delight!
How doves, released from their cages,
clatter away, splashed with sunlight!

But the donkey, tied to a tree as usual, waited.
Then he let himself be led away.
Then he let the stranger mount.

Never had he seen such crowds!
And I wonder if he at all imagined what was to happen.
Still, he was what he had always been: small, dark, obedienct.

I hope, finally, he felt brave.
I hope, finally, he loved the man who rode so lightly upon him,
as he lifted one dusty hoof and stepped, as he had to, forward.

United in faith and prayer, we are on our way to Jerusalem. The Lord God is my help; therefore I am not disgraced; I have set my face like flint, knowing that I shall not be put to shame (Is 50:7)

MARY, QUEEN OF PEACE,
BLESSED ANTHONY NEYROT,
PRAY FOR US.

Today's photo: Thank you, beloved JnJ. 💗So they brought it to Jesus, threw their cloaks over the colt, and helped Jesus to mount.

© Gertrude Feick 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment