Monday, December 9, 2019

Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Patronal Feastday of the United States of America

Readings of the Day
RB: Ch 56 The Abbot's or Abbess's Table
Mass: Gn 3:9-15, 20; Resp Ps 98; Ep 1:3-6, 11-12; Lk 1:26-38


May it be done to me according to your word.

MARY, MOTHER OF DIVINE GRACE, 
PRAY FOR US.

Congratulations and Happy Feast Day to the United States of America! Hail, Mary, full of grace, pray for us.

Since early morning, I continue to return to the Lord God's question to Adam in today's first reading for Mass: "Where are you?" (Gn 3:9). The Lord is asking each one of us this question. May we answer with the psalmist, "Here am I, Lord ... to do your will is my delight" (Ps 40:8-9). And with Mary when she responded to the angel Gabriel, "Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me according to your word" (Lk 1:38). Nothing will be impossible with God (Lk 1:37).

May the Feast of our Mother Mary Immaculate help us to make our whole life a "yes" to God, a "yes" composed of adoration of Him and of daily gestures of love and service.
(Pope Francis, Angelus Address, December 8, 2019)

On Mary
(Adam of Perseigne, Letter 3,25)

You, my Lady,
are my all.
Into your hands
has been stored for me
the fulness of all good.
With you
have been the unfailing treasures
of truth and grace
of peace and pity
of salvation and wisdom
of glory and honor.
You are my anchor amid the billows
my port in shipwreck
my support in tribulation
my comfort in grief.
For those who are yours
you are
aid in oppression
help in time of crisis
temperance in prosperity
joy in time of waiting
refreshment in toil.
Whatsoever I can stammer
in your praise
is less
than your praise
for you are worthy of all praise.

Today's image: Our Lady of the Sign, painted through the hand of Sister Suzanne, OCSO.

© Gertrude Feick 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment