Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Tuesday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Year of Saint Joseph

Year of the Family "Amoris Laetitia The Joy of Love"

Other saints: Saint Turibius of Mogrovejo, Bishop (1538-1606)

Readings of the Day

RB: Ch 43:13-19

Mass: Num 21:4-9; Resp Ps 102; Jn 8:21-30

When I am lifted up from the earth, I will draw all to myself, says the Lord.

HEART OF JESUS, OF INFINITE MAJESTY,
HAVE MERCY ON US.

In today's first reading from the Book of Numbers, the people are once again complaining about the situation they find themselves in, this time because they don't have sufficient food or water, or at least they are "disgusted with the wretched food" (Nb 21:5). Apparently they didn't like what was offered. Hmmm. 

Perhaps it's best just to keep things simple. Why not consider making today a "free from complaining, grumbling, and murmuring day". And consider too praying with Psalm (31)32, proclaimed this morning at Lauds: "Then I declared my sin to you; my guilt I did not hide. I said, 'I confess my faults to the Lord,' and you took away the guilt of my sin" (Ps 32:5). Or, if that doesn't work, join the people in the first reading, who may have a had a change of heart: "We have sinned in complaining against the Lord and you" (Nb 21:7).

Our saint of the day, Saint Turibius was from Mogrovejo, Spain. Curious, I looked up his hometown. Mogrovejo is a small village that had only 44 inhabitants in 2008. Wow. Look it up, it is a beautiful place.

How many times have we told the Lord: "Lord, I will come to you later ... I can't come today. Tomorrow I will begin to pray and do something for others." In this life, we will always have things to do and excuses to offer, but right now is the time for God.
(Pope Francis, Twitter, March 23, 2021) 

SAINT TURIBIUS OF MOGROVEJO,
SAINT JOSEPH,
PRAY FOR US.

© Gertrude Feick 2021


No comments:

Post a Comment