Sunday, March 21, 2021

Fifth Sunday of Lent

Year of Saint Joseph

Year of the Family "Amoris Laetitia The Joy of Love"

Day of Remembrance for the Innocent Victims of the Mafia (Italy)

Readings of the Day

RB: Ch 42 Silence after Compline

Mass: Jer 31:31-34; Resp Ps 51; Heb 5:7-9; Jn 12:20-33 or Ezk 37:12-14; Resp Ps 130; Rm 8:8-11; Jn 11:1-45

Create a clean heart in me, O God.

I WILL PLACE MY LAW WITHIN THEM AND WRITE IT UPON THEIR HEARTS.
(Jer 31:33)

Once again, during this holy season, we are presented with several readings for reflection and prayer. There are multiple themes to absorb and it is often best to choose one theme, although this week it is a challenge. What stands out for you? How is Jesus speaking, and what is He saying to you? 

I notice the Greeks who said to Philip, "Sir, we would like to see Jesus" (Jn 12:21). Do you ever say, "Jesus, I would like to see you." I might not use those words exactly but at times I do wonder where on earth He is. Now if I had eyes that could see and ears that could hear and a heart that was open then I would recognize Jesus in my midst everywhere I go and in everyone I meet. Alas, I don't. One thing Jesus asks each of us is die to self, let go of our whims and appetites, our preferences and our moods. We will then see Him more clearly. May we serve Jesus today and throughout this Fifth Week of Lent, in those situations we find ourselves and in those people we encounter, especially those with whom we have the most difficulties. Amen, amen, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains just a grain of wheat; but if it dies, it produces much fruit. Whoever loves his life loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world will preserve it for eternal life. Whoever serves me must follow me, and where I am, there also will my servant be. The Father will honor whoever serves me (Jn 12:24-26). Heart of Jesus, obedient to death, have mercy on us.

We pray for those preparing to enter the Church at Easter who receive the Third Scrutiny today. United with them we pray with the Collect from Mass: "By your help, we beseech you, Lord our God, may we walk eagerly in that same charity with which, out of love for the world, your Son handed Himself over to death." Amen.

"Unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains just a single grain; but if it dies, it bears much fruit" (Jn 12:23-24). Precisely then, in trials and in solitude while the seed is dying, that is the moment in which life blossoms, to bear ripe fruit in due time.
(Pope Francis, Twitter, March 21, 2021)

SAINT JOSEPH,
PRAY FOR US.

Today's photo: This small beauty, in the midst of other small beauties, is delightful. 

© Gertrude Feick 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment