Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Tuesday of the Twenty-Seventh Week in Ordinary Time

Saint Bruno (1033-1101); Blessed Marie Rose Durocher (1811-1849)

Readings of the Day

RB: Ch 7:55

Mass: Gal 1:13-24; Resp Ps 139; Lk 10:38-42

My journeys and my rest you scrutinize, with all my ways you are familiar.

I remember 2006 and my first visit to Italy, more specifically Rome and Saint Peter's Basilica. It is in the Basilica where I saw a statue of Saint Bruno. It is enormous. I recall being impressed by a simplicity in the saint that emanated from the statue. And there was Saint Bruno's bald head. I liked it. Saint Bruno, intercede for us.

There are many things we could be busy about. Some people are burdened with many things, others not so many. I suppose it can vary from day to day and even throughout the course of a day. So burdens should be expected really. Still, we can be anxious and worried about our many burdens as portrayed by Martha in today's Gospel, or we can choose a better part as did Mary in today's Gospel. Truth is, sometimes we are more like Martha, other times more like Mary. No matter, and as Dom Augustin Guillerand wrote, "there is only one thing we must all do, and that is employ well the time and powers at our disposal. Only thus shall we realize our destiny, and that is the whole purpose of life." As far as I know, there are 24 hours in each and every day. May we use the time given to us well and ask the Lord to guide us along the everlasting way (Ps 139).

Live just for today, for the present moment, while it is yours to live.
(Augustin Guillerand)

SAINT BRUNO,
BLESSED MARIE ROSE DUROCHER,
PRAY FOR US.

© Gertrude Feick 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment