Friday, October 30, 2020

Friday of the Thirtieth Week in Ordinary Time

Saint Marcellus, Martyr (d. 300) 

Readings of the Day

RB: Ch 23 Excommunication for Faults

Mass: Ph 1:1-11; Resp Ps 111; Lk 14:1-6

How great are the works of the Lord!

It is so important always, and especially during these difficult times, to pray for one another. We can be close to those who are near to us, and those far away, by remembering one another in prayer. I find it helpful and comforting too to pray for people by name. I feel then, a particular closeness to the one I remember. Another reason to pray for one another is given by Helen Alvare in today's Magnificat meditation: "It is clear to me that the more I pray fervently for others, the more I learn to co-suffer with others, the more I am making the only kind of progress that counts in this life: learning to love. It teaches me also to affirm others' radical equality with me and to understand my own suffering in context ..." And Saint Paul offers this in today's first reading from Mass: "I give thanks to my God at every remembrance of you, praying always with joy in my every prayer for all of you" (Ph 1:3-4). Saint Paul offers too, a most beautiful prayer:

That your love may increase ever more and more in knowledge and every kind of perception, to discern what is of value, so that you may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ for the glory and praise of God.
(Ph 1:9-11)

SAINT MARCELLUS,
PRAY FOR US.

© Gertrude Feick 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment