Thursday, October 1, 2020

Thursday of the Twenty-Sixth Week in Ordinary Time

Saint Therese of Lisieux, aka Saint Therese of the Child Jesus or "The Little Flower", Virgin, Doctor of the Church (1873-1897)

Readings of the Day

RB: Ch 7:34

Mass: Jb 19:21-27; Resp Ps 27; Lk 10:1-12

Wait for the Lord with courage; be stouthearted, and wait for the Lord.

I feel that my mission is about to begin, my mission to make God loved as I love Him, to teach souls my little way.
(Saint Therese of Lisieux, a few months before her death, 1897)

Some years ago I asked a friend, Carmelite, theologian and scholar what was the best book for Saint Therese of Lisiuex's autobiography, Story of a Soul. He recommended the study edition, translated by J. Clarke, O.C.D. (Washington, D.C.: ICS Publications, 2005). Looking through it last night, I turned to the Reflections and Questions after Chapter I-Alencon (1873-1877). There I found something Therese said that I misunderstood: "It is the spirit of gratitude which draws upon us the overflow of God's grace, for no sooner have we thanked Him for one blessing than he hastens to send us ten additional favors in return. Then, when we show our gratitude for these new gifts, He multiplies His benedictions to such a degree that there seems to be a constant stream of divine grace ever coming our way." As pointed out by the commentator, "the truth contained in Therese's words is not that God sends more blessings when we are grateful", as I first thought, "but rather that we become more aware of the abundant blessings that we have" (p. 37). Let us ask the Little Flower to help us embrace an attitude of gratitude and so sing with the psalmist: I believe that I shall see the good things of the Lord in the land of the living (Ps 27). As another commentator wrote: We all "have daily opportunities of grace. Some of them may be too small to see, but the more we love God, the more we will see them. If we can't advance to Heaven in giant strides, we can do it in tiny little steps. Our weakness is no excuse for mediocrity" (Universalis, October 1, 2020). 

I remember when the relics of Saint Therese travelled through much the United States in late 1999 through early 2000. I lived in Mt Angel, Oregon, at the time when the reliquary was brought to Mount Angel Abbey. I remember being impressed and inspired by the vast number of people who gathered to view and pray before the reliquary of Saint Therese. So the Little Flower continues to teach souls her little way. May we then be further inspired by an etching in Therese's cell: Jesus est mon unique amour, that is, Jesus is my only love.

SAINT THERESE OF THE CHILD JESUS, 
PRAY FOR US.

© Gertrude Feick 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment