Saturday, January 12, 2019

Saturday after Epiphany

St Aelred of Rievaulx (1110-1167)

Readings of the Day
RB: Ch 2:16-22
Mass: 1 Jn 5:14-21; Resp Ps 149; Jn 3:22-30


He must increase; I must decrease.

In connecting the dots this morning, I look to St John from our first reading at Mass: 'We have this confidence in him that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.' If we ask according to the Lord's will, not ours. In the Morning Offering from Thérèse of Lisieux, we pray, 'I ask for myself and those dear to me the grace to fulfill perfectly Your holy will ...' The Lord's holy will, not ours. He must increase; I must decrease

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways, says the Lord. 
(Is 55:8)

Smallness is freedom. One who is small, in the Gospel sense, is unencumbered and free from any urge to show off, and from any claim to success.
(Pope Francis, Twitter, January 12, 2019)

SAINT AELRED OF RIEVAULX, PRAY FOR US.

No longer do we seek a God beyond the stars. Because of Christmas, God is nearest in the quiet room of our own hearts.
(Karl Rahner)

NB. Although not a very good photo, today's is of our Christmas tree. As we prepare to celebrate the Feast of the Baptism of the Lord, the Christmas tree serves as a reminder that the Christmas Season runs from First Vespers of the Nativity of the Lord up to and including the Sunday after Epiphany or after January 6. Including today then, we have two days of the Christmas season left. On Monday we begin the First Week of Ordinary Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment