Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Wednesday of the Twenty-Ninth Week in Ordinary Time

Year of Saint Joseph

Year of the Family "Amoris Laetitia The Joy of Love"

Saints: Saint Paul of the Cross, Priest (1699-1775); Blessed Daudi Okelo (1902-1918) and Jildo Irwa (1906-1918)

Readings of the Day

RB: Ch 16 The Celebration of the Divine Office During the Day

Mass: Rm 6:12-18; Resp Ps 124; Lk 12:39-48

Our help is in the name of the Lord.

I RESOLVED TO KNOW NOTHING WHILE I WAS WITH YOU EXCEPT JESUS CHRIST, AND HIM CRUCIFIED.
(Entrance Antiphon, Mass)

October rolls on with more saints to commemorate, all who heeded the Lord's command to "be prepared, for at an hour you do not expect, the Son of Man will come" (Lk 12:40). We pray for the people of Uganda, who have two great saints to intercede for them. Youngsters and catechists soley devoted to teaching the Christian faith, Blessed Daudi and Jildo were killed at the ages of 16 and 12, respectively. Then we have Saint Paul of the Cross, an Italian mystic, the founder of the Passionate Order, now an Order of vowed priests and brothers, sisters and nuns. I took a look at a Passionate website last night, passionate.org, the site for the Passionists of Holy Cross Province. There I read that "for St. Paul of the Cross, the Passion of Jesus was 'the most overwhelming work of God's love'". I also found two daily prayers, both powerful. I include one here.

Dear Lord, I have allowed the world to come into my heart and rob me of my inner peace. When I experience these difficulties it seems that there will be no end-I see no way out of my suffering. Forgive me for my lack of faith and trust. Though I try to fight it, I let fear and anxiety rule my mind and my thoughts and keep me in despair. Help me to remember that there is nothing so great, so overwhelming or so insurmountable that your love cannot conquer it. Embrace me in these dark times. Show me the way. 

SAINT PAUL OF THE CROSS,
BLESSED DAUDI OKELO AND JILDO IRWA,
SAINT JOSEPH,
PRAY FOR US.

Today's photo: A sweet and colorful tree.

© Gertrude Feick 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment