Friday, October 22, 2021

Friday of the Twenty-Ninth Week in Ordinary Time

Year of Saint Joseph

Year of the Family "Amoris Laetitia The Joy of Love"

Saints: Pope Saint John Paul II (1920-2005)

Readings of the Day

RB: Ch 18:1-6 The Order of the Psalmody

Mass: Rm 7:18-25a; Resp Ps 119; Lk 12:54-59

You are good and bountiful, teach me your statutes.

THANKS BE TO GOD THROUGH JESUS CHRIST OUR LORD.
(Rm 7:25a)

There is so much to be thankful for. For one, it's been raining cats and dogs around here. We can also be thankful for fond memories. A few of mine come today. 

As we commemorate Pope Saint John Paul II, I recall the privilege of attending his beatification in 2011. Saint Peter's Square was overflowing into all streets and byways and bridges. I sat myself on Ponte Sant'Angelo, packed full of pilgrims. Speaking of Rome, I defended my doctoral thesis on Cardinal Basil Hume on October 22, 2015. Photos came through this morning in a OneDrive "On this day" email. I pray for all those gathered in the late afternoon of that day. Thank you.

I found this quotation from Pope Saint Paul II on Vatican News this morning, something to keep us grounded and focused amidst it all: "Be vigilant so that nothing might separate us from the love of Christ: neither false slogans, nor erroneous ideologies, nor caving into the temptation to fall into compromises with what is not of God." Something that might help with this is turning to Saint Benedict at the beginning of Chapter 18 of the Holy Rule, "The Order of the Psalmody", the chapter we are busy with for a few days: "Each of the day hours begins with the verse, God, come to my assistance; Lord, make haste to help me ..." (RB 18:1). However, we can turn to this verse at any time of day or night, and especially when we are tempted by false slogans, erroneous ideologies, and the like. O God, come to my assistance; Lord, make haste to help me.

POPE SAINT JOHN PAUL II,
SAINT JOSEPH,
PRAY FOR US.

Today's photo: This is nice, here at Redwoods.

© Gertrude Feick 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment