Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Tuesday of the Twenty-Ninth Week in Ordinary Time

Year of Saint Joseph

Year of the Family "Amoris Laetitia The Joy of Love"

Saints: Saints John de Brebeuf and Isaac Jogues, priests, and their Companions, Martyrs (17th century); Saint Philip Howard (1557-1595); Saint Frideswide (-735); Saint Peter of Alcantara (-1562)

Readings of the Day

RB: Ch 15 The Times for Saying Alleluia

Mass: Rm 5:12, 15b, 17-19, 20b-21; Resp Ps 40; Lk 12:35-38

May all who seek you exult and be glad.

BE VIGILANT AND PRAY THAT YOU MAY HAVE THE STRENGTH TO STAND BEFORE THE SON OF MAN.
(Gospel versicle, Mass)

I am remembering this morning the Gospel of this past Sunday when James and John wanted primacy of place in Jesus' glory. But you do not know what you asking, Jesus told them. Were James and John ready to drink the chalice of suffering, to lay down their lives for Jesus, pick up their crosses and follow Him? We have certainly had examples these days of those who were. I think of Saint Ignatius of Antioch, who on his way to Rome for execution, wrote to the Romans: "I am writing to all the churches to let it be known that I will gladly die for God if only you do not stand in my way." And today we commemorate Saint John de Brebeuf and Isaac Jogues and their Companions, 17th century North American martyrs for the faith. One can get a pretty good idea of what they faced as portrayed in the film Black Robe. And here is an entry from the spiritual diaries of Saint John de Brebeuf, priest and martyr, found in Office of Readings, October 19:

For two days now I have experienced a great desire to be a martyr and endure all the torments the martyrs suffered.
Jesus, my Lord and Savior, what can I give you in return for all the favors you have conferred on me? I will take from your hand the cup of your sufferings and call on your name. I vow before the eternal Father and the Holy Spirit, before your most holy Mother and her most chaste spouse, before the angels, apostles and martyrs, before my blessed fathers Saint Ignatius and Saint Francis Xavier-in truth I vow to you, Jesus my Savior, that as far as I have the strength I will never fail to accept the grace of martyrdom, if some day you in your infinite mercy should offer it to me, your most worthy servant.

May we never boast, except in the Cross of our Lord Jesus Christ. For the word of the Cross is the power of God to us who have been saved.
(Entrance Antiphon, Mass)

SAINT JOHN DE BREBEUF AND ISSAC JOGUES AND THIER COMPANIONS,
SAINT PHILIP HOWARD,
SAINT FRIDESWIDE, 
SAINT PETER OF ALCANTARA,
SAINT JOSEPH,
PRAY FOR US.

Today's photo: Fall colors abound. 

© Gertrude Feick 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment