Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Tuesday of the Eleventh Week in Ordinary Time

Readings of the Day
RB: Ch 14 The Celebration of Vigils on the Feasts of Saints
Mass: 2 Cor 8:1-9; Resp Ps 146; Mt 5:43-48


Praise the Lord, my soul!

We're on the subject of love again today. St Paul writes that the genuineness of our love is tested by our concern for others. And one of the biggest tests is presented in the Gospel: love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you. Let us pray for one another, without exception.

God's unconditional love poured forth in our hearts by the Holy Spirit goes on showing love, no matter what happens and even in the face of opposition and persecution.
(Thomas Keating)

Mercy renews because it is an encounter between two hearts: the heart of God who comes to meet us and a human heart. The latter is warmed and healed by the former. Our hearts of stone become hearts of flesh capable of love despite our sinfulness. I come to realize that I am truly a 'new creation': I am loved, therefore I exist; I am forgiven, therefore I am reborn; I have been shown mercy, therefore I have become a vessel of mercy.
(Pope Francis, Misericordia et misera, 16)

Today's photo: Vetch (Vicia sativa). 

No comments:

Post a Comment