Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Wednesday of the Twenty-Ninth Week in Ordinary Time

Respect Life Month

Saints: Saints John de Brebeuf and Isaac Jogues, priests, and their Companions (aka North American Martyrs, Canadian Martyrs, Jesuit Martyrs of North America, and Martyrs of France), (17the century); Saint Philip Howard (1557-1595); Saint Frideswide (-735); Saint Peter of Alcantara (-1562)

Readings of the Day

Rule of Saint Benedict: Ch 15 The Times for Saying Alleluia

Mass: Eph 3:2-12; Resp Ps (Is 12); Lk 12:39-48

I am confident and unafraid.

MARY, QUEEN OF PEACE,
MARY, QUEEN OF THE MOST HOLY ROSARY,
SAINT JOSEPH, DEFENDER OF LIFE,
SAINT MICHAEL THE ARCHANGEL,
PRAY FOR US.

May we never boast, except in the Cross of our Lord Jesus Christ. For the word of the Cross is the power of God to us who have been saved.
(Entrance Antiphon, Mass)

It may not be that we suffer martyrdom in the way the North American Martyrs did, but we are to imitate their firm and solid faith, self-sacrifice, courage, delight and joy in the face of the little and not so little things that come our way each and every day. Saints John de Brebeuf, Isaac Jogues and their companions were certainly faithful and prudent stewards; may they help us be the same. We can remember too something Isaac Jogues said: "What is suffered is known only to One for whose love and whose cause it is pleasing and glorious to suffer." God indeed is my savior; I am confident and unafraid. My strength and my courage is the Lord, and He has been by savior ... Give thanks to the Lord, acclaim His name.

For two days now I have experienced a great desire to be a martyr and to endure all the torments martyrs suffered. 
Jesus, my Lord and Savior, what can I give you in return for all the favors you have first conferred on me? ...
in truth I vow to you, Jesus my Savior, that as far as I have the strength I will never fail to accept the grace of martyrdom, if some day in your infinite mercy should offer it to me, your most unworthy servant.
I bind myself in this way so that for the rest of my life I will have neither permission nor freedom to refuse opportunities of dying and shedding my blood for you, unless at a particular juncture I should consider it more suitable to act otherwise at the time. Furthermore, I bind myself to this so that, on receiving the blow of death, I shall accept it from your hands with the fullest delight and joy of spirit. For this reason, my beloved Jesus, and because of the surging joy which moves me, here and now I offer my blood and body and live. May I die only for you, if you will grant me this grace, since you willingly died for me.
(From the spiritual diaries by Saint John de Brebeuf, priest and martyr, 
in Office of Readings, October 19)

SAINTS JOHN DE BREBEUF AND ISAAC JOGUES AND THEIR COMPANIONS,
SAINT PHILIP HOWARD, 
SAINT FRIDESWIDE,
SAINT PETER OF ALCANTARA,
PRAY FOR US.

Today's photo: Proclaim how exalted is His name.

© Gertrude Feick 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment