Thursday, October 27, 2022

Thursday of the Thirtieth Week in Ordinary Time

Respect Life Month

Saint: Saint Otteran (d. 548); Saint Frumentius, Patron Saint of Ethiopia (d. 380)

Readings of the Day

Rule of Saint Benedict: Ch 20 Reverence in Prayer

Mass: Eph 6:10-20; Resp Ps 144; Lk 13:31-35

Blessed be the Lord, my rock!

MARY, QUEEN OF PEACE,
MARY, QUEEN OF THE MOST HOLY ROSARY,
SAINT JOSEPH, DEFENDER OF LIFE,
SAINT MICHAEL THE ARCHANGEL,
PRAY FOR US.

Draw your strength from the Lord and from His mighty power.
(Eph 6:10)

I had the privilege of proclaiming the First Reading at Mass this morning, more from the Letter of Saint Paul to the Ephesians, a letter packed full of good news. As far as I am concerned, this morning's reading is awesome. How true it is that we need all the strength the Lord can give us. It is to the Lord that we turn then and put on His armor so that we may be able to stand firm against the tactics of the Devil (see Eph 6:13). United in faith and prayer, we must resist and hold our ground. And we have more cause to continue to invoke Saint Michael the Archangel, each and every day. Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. My mercy and my fortress, my stronghold, my deliverer.

With all prayer and supplication, pray at every opportunity in the Spirit.
(Eph 6:18)

SAINT OTTERAN,
SAINT FRUMENTIUS,
PRAY FOR US.

Today's photo: What about our saint of the day, Saint Otteran. He was abbot of Meath and later came to Iona, where he died and was buried. Is that Iona, you say? Well, it just so happens that the rock you see here is from the island of Iona. It's true folks. It came all the way from Iona and I have had it since 2015. From Iona to Redwoods and everywhere in between. This is one well-traveled rock.

© Gertrude Feick 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment