Friday, November 6, 2020

Friday of the Thirty-First Week in Ordinary Time

First Friday of the Month

Other saints: Saint Nuno Alvares Pereira (1360-1431); All the Saints of Ireland; All Saints of Africa; Saint Illtud, Abbot (Sixth Century); Saint Melaine, Bishop (c. 530); Saint Leonard of Noblac (? Sixth Century); Saint Winnoc, Abbot (c. 717); Saint Demetrian, Bishop (c. 912); Saint Barlaam of Khutin, Abbot (1193); Bd Christina of Stommeln (c. 1242-1312); Bd Joan de Maille (1332-1414)

Readings of the Day

RB: Ch 30 The Manner of Reproving the Young

Mass: Ph 3:17-4:1; Resp Ps 122; Lk 16:1-8

Let us go rejoicing to the house of the Lord.

HEART OF JESUS,  MOST WORTHY OF ALL PRAISE,
HAVE MERCY ON US.

Saint Paul's words to us are ones to keep in our hearts and in our minds on this First Friday of the Month: "Stand firm in the Lord" (Ph 4:1). We go forth in faith and with hope as we pray with this, "Ode XVI, The Disciple Speaks", what we sang at Lauds yesterday morning.

Turn not from me your mercies, O Lord,
and take not from me your kindness.
Stretch out to me, O Lord, at all times your right hand,
and be my guide, even unto the end,
according to your good pleasure.
Let me be well-pleasing before you,
because of your glory, and because of your Name.
Let me be preserved from evil,
and let your meekness, O Lord, abide with me,
and the fruits of your love.
Teach me the psalms of your truth,
that I may bring forth fruit in you.
And open to me the harp of the Holy Spirit,
that with all its notes I may praise you, O Lord.
And, according to the multitude of your tender mercies,
so you shall give to me.
Glory be to the Father and to the Son,
and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be,
world without end.
Amen.

Teach me the language you speak, O God, and make me understand those little signs by which you give understanding hearts to know what it is your will.
(William of St Thierry)

© Gertrude Feick 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment