Monday, December 26, 2022

Feast of Saint Stephen, the First Martyr

The Month of December Dedicated to Advent and the Coming of Christ

Other Saint: Pope Saint Dionysius (3rd century)

Readings of the Day

Rule of Saint Benedict: Ch 68 The Assignment of Impossible Tasks

Mass: Acts 6:8-10; 7:54-59; Resp Ps 31; Mt 10:17-22

You will redeem me, O Lord, O faithful God.

MARY, QUEEN OF PEACE,
MARY, QUEEN OF MARTYRS,
PRAY FOR US.

Lord, do not hold this sin against them.
(Acts 7:60)

Merry Christmas and welcome to the Feast of Saint Stephen, the First Martyr. What came last night was that if someone like Saul of Tarsus, who not only consented to the stoning death of Saint Stephen, spent a considerable amount of time trying to destroy the church by entering house after house and dragging out men and women and handing them over to imprisonment (Acts 8:1-3), not gently and politely I imagine, can be converted and become Saint Paul the Apostle, there is hope for all of us. Thank God for people like Saint Stephen, with the courage and strength to go before us and suffer persecution and death, without holding grudges mind you, to pull us along. I include a little prayer sent by a relative who considers it an honor and an occasion of great joy to celebrate her birthday on this glorious Feast: "May Saint Stephen share with all of us his sacrificial strength, so that, when we are called to suffer, we will be able to follow in his footsteps." Amen.

HE ASKED FOR CHARITY
(Saint Francis of Assisi, 1182-1226)

God came to my house and asked for charity.
And I fell on my knees and
cried, "Beloved,

what may I 
give?"

"Just love," He said,
"Just love."

Love, indeed, is the source of all good things; it is an impregnable defense, and the way that leads to heaven. He who walks in love can neither go astray not be afraid: love guides him, protects him, and brings him to his journey's end.
Christ made love the stairway that would enable all Christians to climb to heaven. Hold fast to it, therefore, in all sincerity, give one another practical proof of it, and by your progress in it, make your ascent together.
(From a sermon by Saint Fulgentius of Ruspe, bishop, in Office of Readings, December 26)

SAINT STEPHEN,
POPE SAINT DIONYSIUS,
PRAY FOR US.

Today's photo: I have been wanting to include this, a little find of last week. Somehow it fits for today as I find myself asking our Lord to let His face shine upon me and save me in His kindness. You are my rock and my fortress. Jesus, strength of martyrs, have mercy on us.

© Gertrude Feick 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment