Sunday, September 4, 2022

Twenty-Third Sunday in Ordinary Time

In other years: Saint Cuthbert (634?-687); Saint Mac Nissi (5th century); Blessed Dina Belanger (1897-1929)

Readings of the Day

Rule of Saint Benedict: Prologue 21-32 

Mass: Wisdom 9:13-18b; Resp Ps 90; Philemon 9-10, 12-17; Lk 14:25-33

Fill us at daybreak with Your kindness.

MARY, QUEEN OF PEACE,
SIGHING MOTHER,
PRAY FOR US.

Lord, take me as I am, with my defects, with my shortcomings, but make me become what you want me to be.
(Pope Blessed John Paul I)

Amidst of crowd of some 25,000 faithful, the Holy Father beatified Servant of God, Pope John Paul I, "the smiling pope", today in Saint Peter's Square. God is praised!

In our Gospel, we find great crowds traveling with Jesus, among them we find ourselves, here, there and everywhere. Jesus addresses us in this way: If anyone comes to me without hating his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, even his own life, he cannot be my disciple (Lk 14:26). In other words, Jesus comes first. Saint Benedict is clear too: "The love of Christ must come before all else" (Rule of Saint Benedict, 4:21), and "let them prefer nothing whatever to Christ" (RB 72:11). Jesus first, and all else will follow according to His will. If ready, "clothed then with faith and the performance of good works, let us set out on this way, with the Gospel for our guide, that we may deserve to see Him who has called us to His kingdom" (RB Prologue 21). Be prepared though, as Jesus tells us on more than one occasion, Whoever does not carry his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple (Lk 14:27). United in faith and prayer, we go forth. 

Jesus asks each person to discern carefully their reason for following Him and the consequences that it will entail ...
To follow Him does not mean to become part of a court or triumphal procession, or even to receive a lifetime insurance policy. On the contrary, it means "carrying one's cross": shouldering like Him one's own burdens and those of others, making one's life a gift, not a possession, spending it in imitation of His own generous and merciful love for us. These are the decisions that engage the totality of our lives. For this reason, Jesus desires that His disciples prefer nothing to His love, even their greatest affections and deepest treasures.
(Pope Francis, homily, Holy Mass and Beatification of Servant of God, Pope John Paul I, Saint Peter's Square, September 4, 2022)

If you want to kiss Jesus crucified, "you cannot help bending over the cross and letting yourself be pricked by a few thorns of the crown on the Lord's head."
(Pope Blessed John Paul I)

POPE BLESSED JOHN PAUL I,
SAINT CUTHBERT,
SAINT MAC NISSI,
BLESSED DINA BELANGER,
PRAY FOR US.

Today's photo: That we may shout for joy and gladness all out days.

© Gertrude Feick 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment