Saturday, September 3, 2022

Saturday of the Twenty-Second Week in Ordinary Time

First Saturday of the Month

Saint: Pope Saint Gregory the Great, first monk to be elected pope, “Servant of the Servants of God” (540-604)

Readings of the Day

Rule of Saint Benedict: Prologue 14-20

Mass: 1 Cor 4:6b-15; Resp Ps 145; Lk 6:1-5  

The Lord is near to all who call upon Him

MARY, QUEEN OF PEACE,
MOURNFUL MOTHER,
PRAY FOR US.

Welcome to the First Saturday of the Month. Mary, comforter of the afflicted, pray for us.

Listen with the ear of your heart; the Lord is calling. "Is there anyone here who yearns for life and desires to see good days? If you hear this and your answer is 'I do,' God then directs these words to you: If you desire true and eternal life, keep your tongue free from vicious talk and your lips from all deceit; turn away from evil and do good; let peace be your quest and aim" (RB Prologue 15-17). And Our Lord, through Saint Benedict continues: "Once you have done this, my eyes will be upon you and my ears will listen for your prayers; and even before you ask me, I will say to you: Here I am" (RB Prologue 18). And "what, dear sisters, is more delightful than this voice of the Lord calling to us? See how the Lord in His love shows us the way of life" (RB Prologue 19-20). With this good news, we go forth, united in faith and prayer, and speak the praise of the Lord. May all flesh bless His holy name forever (Ps 145). 

Who am I - what kind of watchman am I? I do not stand on the pinnacle of achievement; I languish rather in the depths of my weakness. And yet the creator and redeemer of mankind can give me, unworthy though I be, the grace to see life whole and power to speak effectively of it. It is for love of Him that I do not spare myself in preaching Him.
(A sermon of Saint Gregory the Great, in Office of Readings, September 3)

POPE SAINT GREGORY THE GREAT,
PRAY FOR US.

Today's photo: And holy in all His works.

© Gertrude Feick 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment