Sunday, January 9, 2022

The Baptism of the Lord

Year of the Family "Amoris Laetitia The Joy of Love"

In other years: Saint Adrian of Canterbury (d. 710); Saint Andrew Corsini (c.1315-1374)

Readings of the Day

Rule of Saint Benedict: Ch 1:6-13 The Different Kinds of Monks

Mass: Is 42:1-4, 6-7; Resp Ps 29; Acts 10:34-38 or Is 40:1-5, 9-11; Resp Ps 104; Titus 2:11-14; 3;4-7; Lk 3:15-16, 21-22 

The voice of the Lord is over the waters.

YOU ARE MY BELOVED SON;
WITH YOU I AM WELL PLEASED.
(Lk 3:22)

Pope Francis baptized sixteen infants (newborns of the Holy See and Roman Curia employees) in the Sistene Chapel earlier today, during the Mass for today's Solemnity of the Baptism of the Lord. This papal tradition was established by Pope Saint John Paul II in 1981. Speaking of Pope Saint John Paul II, I remember him especially on this date every year. I include here a repeat of the reflection (with a few edits) posted in 2018. Herein you will find why I remember the saint on this day of celebration. 

I was inspired by something I learned about and from Pope St John Paul II. In G. Weigel’s biography of John Paul II, Witness to Hope, he recounts the Pope’s first papal pilgrimage to Poland, June 1979. ‘When the Holy Father arrived in his hometown of Wadowice, his first stop was the parish of his youth. Upon entering the church, he went straight to the baptismal font, knelt and kissed it. Because St. John Paul knew that the most important day of his life was the day of his baptism: not the day he was ordained a priest, or consecrated a bishop, or elected pope. The day of his baptism was, literally, the font from which everything else in his life flowed’ (The Catholic World Report, 27 April 2016).

Later that same year, the Pope made an Apostolic Journey to the US, where he addressed women religious:

On the day of our Baptism, we received the greatest gift God can bestow on any man or woman. No other honor, no other distinction will equal its value. For we were freed from sin and incorporated into Christ Jesus and his Body, the Church. That day and every day after, we were chosen ‘to live through love in his presence’ (Ep 1:4). (Address of His Holiness John Paul II to Women Religious, Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, Washington, D.C., 7 October 1979).

Even today, the Holy Father reminds us of the significance of Baptism. Pope Francis, in today's Angelus Address, urged those gathered in the rain falling on Saint Peter' Square, and all the faithful throughout the world, not to forget the date of our Baptism. Why take note of the date of your Baptism? I don’t have any recollection of mine whatsoever. Still, we receive the gift of faith at Baptism—the seed of faith I pray continues to grow. Some years ago, Pope Francis reminded us too that we receive the gift of the Holy Spirit, given to each of us by the Father on the day of our Baptism: ‘It is the Spirit who transmits to us the tenderness of divine forgiveness. And it is still the Holy Spirit, who causes the revealing Word of the Father to resound’. Therefore, we should remember the date of our Baptism, ‘because to forget it means to expose ourselves to the risk of losing our memory of what the Lord has done in us’. I am prompted to sing out with the psalmist: ‘The Lord has done great things for us; we are filled with joy!’ As reported on Vatican Radio (Jan. 7, 2017): ‘Thanks to our Baptism, the Pope said, not only do we become new creatures “clothed with Christ”, but we are also able “to forgive and love those who offend us and do us harm; we are able to recognize in the last and in the poor the face of the Lord who visits us and is close to us”.’

It seems to me remembering the date of my Baptism, even celebrating it!, and thereby recalling the marvelous things God has done for me is not a waste of time. Even though I don’t remember the occasion, I now know I was baptized at the ripe age of 20 days. It says so here on my Certificate of Baptism. What a blessing to receive the great and glorious gifts of faith and the Holy Spirit at such an early age. It has been helpful for me to also gather the dates of my First Holy Communion, and Confirmation. It was with delight that I see here the name of my oldest brother on my Certificate of Confirmation; he was my sponsor. I think of the parish where I received the Sacraments and also those that gathered to share in the Baptismal celebration with my parents, those known and unknown to me, those living and deceased—all those who helped shape and guide me throughout my early years. 

Why not do a little research and find out the date of your own Baptism. Your parish (or the one you were baptized in) should have it on record. Indeed, the date of our Baptism is the font from which everything else in our life flows. May we live through love in Christ’s presence.

Christ is bathed in light, let us also be bathed in light. Christ is baptized; let us also go down with Him, and rise with Him ...
Today let us do honor to Christ's baptism and celebrate this feast in holiness. Be cleansed entirely and continue to be cleansed.
(From a sermon by Saint Gregory of Nazienzen, bishop, in Office of Readings, Baptism of the Lord)

SAINT ADRIAN OF CANTERBURY,
SAINT ANDREW CORSINI,
PRAY FOR US.

Today's photo: You've seen this one before; it is fitting for today. The view is of Clear Lake, taken in February 2021, along California State Route 20 heading east between California Highway 101 and California Interstate 5. 

© Gertrude Feick 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment